Tiled roofs are widely appreciated for their durability and aesthetic appeal. However, over time, these roofs may suffer wear and tear due to exposure to weather elements or natural aging. Timely repair of tiled roofs is essential to maintain the roof's integrity and prevent interior damage to the home.
Common Problems with Tiled Roofs
The first step towards repairing a tiled roof is identifying the problem areas. Some of the most common issues with tiled roofs include:
- Cracked or Broken Tiles: Tiles can crack or break due to impact from falling debris, foot traffic, or extreme weather conditions.
- Loose Tiles: Over time, tiles may become loose, creating a risk of water leakage or tiles falling off.
- Eroded Mortar: Mortar that holds ridge caps in place can deteriorate over time, leaving tiles unsecured.
- Underlayment Damage: If the underlayment (a protective layer beneath the tiles) gets damaged, it can lead to leaks, even if the tiles above it are intact.
Repairing Tiled Roofs with Professional Roofing Services
A professional roofing service has the expertise and equipment to effectively tackle tiled roof repairs. Here's how they approach it:
- Inspection: A thorough roof inspection allows professionals to identify the problems affecting your tiled roof. They'll look for visible damage like cracked tiles and signs of water leakage or damage inside the home that might suggest problems with the underlayment.
- Repairing or Replacing Tiles: Professionals can expertly replace broken or cracked tiles with new ones that match the existing roof. They ensure that the tiles are secured correctly to prevent future problems.
- Re-bedding and Re-pointing: If the mortar has eroded, the roofing service will re-bed the tiles, meaning they'll lay a new layer of mortar to hold the tiles in place. They'll also re-point the ridge caps, which involves applying a flexible pointing material over the bedding for added security and waterproofing.
- Underlayment Repair: In case of underlayment damage, professionals may need to remove a section of tiles to replace or repair the underlayment before reinstalling the tiles.
Professional Roofing Services
Roof repair, especially for tiled roofs, requires specific skills and safety measures. Here's why hiring a professional roofing service is beneficial:
- Safety: Roofing work can be dangerous due to the risk of falls. Professionals have the necessary safety equipment and training to perform the job safely.
- Warranty: Many roofing services provide a warranty for their work, ensuring that if issues arise after the repair, the company will address them.
Contact a roofing company to learn more.